Monday, July 28, 2008

uTorrent - Frequent Error

If like me you are using uTorrent and keep getting the error: "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process", then the issue might be something very simple... like Google Desktop.

After searching for a fix for this issue on the net and not reading the very apparent messages, I switched so BitComet. Bitcomet used to be good once but not any more, it locks up the entire system after it starts.

To fix the issue, check if you are running Google Desktop and then:

  1. Go to its preferences page
  2. Go to "Do not search these items" option.
  3. Select the folder where the file you are downloading is being saved.
If you are not running Google Desktop then there are other options like Unlocker which I haven't tried (so cannot recommend).

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    The only time I faced that error was when the Movie was still downloading and I opened it up in WMP Classic!

    BTW, Unlocker is a really useful tool. Ever faced the problem of 'This file/folder is in use' message upon Shift+Del? I get those a lot and use unlocker to circumvent that.

  2. Aravind said...

    Ok, thanks. Will try when I have a problem.