Friday, July 11, 2008

Epic India is Epic!


Click on pic to view larger version.


Found this on Wikipedia, here.

Interesting to note the familiar names of places after watching Ramayana and Mahabharata on TV when I was young. Places of note are:
Kuru of Kauravas
Panchala of Draupadi's father
Dwaraka of Krishna
Magadha
Anga of Karna
Gandhara of Shakuni (note the geographical location, Afghanistan perhaps?)


Also of note are kingdoms of exotic tribes in Pink. Yakshas, Rakshasas, Asuras etc were referred to as different types of beings with special powers, Rakshasas were for example simply demons as depicted in Ramayana. As I haven't read Ramayana myself, I am not too sure about it now. This maps certainly is a good way to read into India's ancient history.

1 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Gandhara is today's Kandahar.

    What surprises me is that the north is divided into so many small kingdoms, but the south has far a lesser number of them.