Saturday, October 27, 2007

Crime in Melbourne

Where do you live? Footscray? Oh my god, is it safe?

This is quite a normal question I keep getting asked by new comers to Melbourne. And to tell them that the suburb I live in is very safe only for them not to get convinced about it makes me feel a bit upset.

Ok, there are a few suburbs in Melbourne that were once not very safe and by safe I mean if we can walk from the station to our home getting off the last train without fear of anyone disturbing us. Out of my 4.5 years in Melbourne, I have lived more than half the time in Footscray and never have I been disturbed or even afraid of anyone stopping me to ask for some change, a smoke(cigarette) or even threatened.

I have been to Sydney twice and spent a total of 8 days there, in this time I have seen more street fights in Sydney than in 4.5 years of living in Melbourne. May be I was just at the wrong places or may be that's just the way Sydney is.

In fact most of Melbourne is very safe not just for guys walking back home but even my girl friends are not afraid of getting back home late at night. This post is actually wasted on something that is non-existent and I like it that way.

3 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Wow really? I never knew Footscray was so safe.

    I grew up, learning that Footscray was a unsafe area and the Cabramatta version for Melbourne.

  2. Anonymous said...

    I was thinking of moving there so your comments are most welcome :)

    BTW: Went to Sydney for 1 week and saw 3 fights.

  3. Anonymous said...

    I worked at Sydney many years ago and seen police investigating a murder of a homeless person. It was just a block from where I stayed and the locals didn't even bat an eyelid (Kings Cross).
    Thanks for your post. Was thinking of moving to Melbourne and your post turned up on Google. :)