Saturday, July 19, 2008

Crime in Melbourne - Part 2

As previously noted on my blog, Crime in Melbourne is pretty non-existent. I keep getting traffic through search engines about this issue and here are a few points I would like to make:

  1. Assault type crime is lower in Victoria (of which Melbourne is the capital) is lower than the national average, even lower than in NSW, as per this.
  2. The last major scare in Melbourne city was 2007 CBD Shootings. It wasn't a terrorist type scare, nor was it organised or pre-planned.
  3. There aren't any street muggings, at least none are reported.
  4. Victoria Police have released their Crime stats here.
  5. While Footscray and some other areas used to be a problem earlier, they are much safer now.
  6. Late night train rides can be an issue with drunks and druggies creating nuisance for others, however, they do not interfere with others.
Rest assured, I feel as safe in Melbourne on the streets as I would feel in Hyderabad or at my home.

0 comments :